Friday, January 7, 2011

Collage Blog

For the work on the collage that we created, we had to write 10 patterns, which were involved in this collage. I tried to attach the pictures, which were related in some form of pattern, for example, I connected car with money, and chicken with fish. The first of my patterns is technology. In this collage, you have some old and new technology; there was an old stereo, and a new car design.
The next pattern was tourism, at the top, the yellow strip with blue writing, saying Visit, which is attached to the planes and then Mars. The fact that visit is standing out, shows that this is about travelling.
The pattern following is Politics. The picture of the war in the top left, all started to do with politics and then the writing saying “Switching sides” and also the picture of the teenager with writing above his head saying “Your message here”. I put this here because politics starts with views, and messages and then it is built up on those things.
Next, the big green, money! This is a pattern involved here. In the middle, there is a picture of money, I put it here, because I thought this was the most important pattern. How is this involved, well everything in this collage has to do with money. Money is needed to evolve technology; it is also needed to travel.
Fifthly, the next pattern I saw wasn’t a big pattern, but its there between 2 things. Fish and chickens are both living creatures. As I said it may not be a big pattern, but it definitely is there.
The next pattern, is disease, this starts from the chicken, this is because of bird flu and then the person in the mask, connected to the chicken. This person is sorting out the diseases and then connected is Mars. When we think of Mars, we think of a red wasteland. Now when you think of wasteland, you think of diseases.
I thought the next pattern I found was clever. Sudoku is a for of a puzzle, correct?  Well with nowadays money problems we are in a problem, kid of like a puzzle, right? Well that’s the next pattern, puzzles.
The next topic is media, this topic is pretty simple, you have media in bright yellow, you have books and a cartoon photo of the mail.
Another pattern which came to me was futuristic. And finally the last pattern I saw was creativity / ideas, this is because all of the technology must have been designed, which came from both creativity and ideas and also the picture of the teenage guy again.
A couple of the other peoples patterns were similar to mine. Like travel and media, however 2 of the things that I didn’t see, is that most things are at some sort of angle, and that they are all the similar size and that they involve warm colors. The patterns that I saw was to do with what’s inside the picture and other peoples patterns which they realized had to do with what the color, shape, size and angle of the pictures.
I realized that without knowing it, I had put all of these pictures in a form of a concept map. This was pretty much an "aha!" moment which I had. 

1 comment:

  1. Joe, really thorough list of patterns -- although, I think some of your"patterns" are really symbols. It's a pattern when they repeat or coalesce... not when they are on their own. However, I think Tyler really hit the sweet spot when he described your poster as if you had a deck of cards... organized by laid out in a slant. Nice.

    ReplyDelete