Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Explanation Graphic





I personally found it hard to find a explanation / information graphic. I looked for a while to see if I could find a very poorly made bar chart, because bar charts are pretty easy to complicate and easy to alter. However, there weren’t many bar charts that were understandable to me and most people for that matter. For example, one of the bar charts I found were about specific company sales.

So then I tried the simplest option and that was to type in “Explanation Graphic” in my search bar, I was going to look at every one and see if I can find a poorly drawn or designed explanation graphic. Let me say this, it was really hard to find a poorly drawn explanation graphic online. There were a lot of good explanation graphics, which were all colorful, clear and simple. They had no room for improvement, so I obviously couldn’t re-draw any of these.

So then I thought what could I do this drawing on, with items, which I hold in my room. So I looked around, and I saw my Xbox games, because they always have a diagram of the controller and what the buttons do for that specific game. I looked through the manual, and I had the same problem with the other ones, they had no room for improvement.

So I had to look around again, and I saw a manual on the floor. The manual was for a filter for my fish tank which I had recently bought. As I was looking through the manual, I noticed that all of the diagrams were in too much artistically detail, also there wasn’t a simple diagram showing where things go and what things are. So I looked, and then I decided to draw a side view of the filter that shows what things are and the process of the water movement.

I started to draw the outline of the filter and then started to draw the suction cup and hook and plug of the filter. I then started to think, there are 2 main parts into the filter, which is the actually filters. These filters go inside, so I needed to figure out a way in which I can show that they are inside. I then thought that a dotted line is a universal term for what I am trying to demonstrate. So I drew the replaceable filter and permanent filter. The final step was to label the parts and show the movement of the water.

This assignment wasn’t hard, it was just hard to find explanation graphics which are done poorly. I think this is because in this generation, people require everything to be done with perfection, and therefore there should not be any room for improvement. Also, explanation graphics are used as a marketing skill, so you really want to make these to the best that one can, because businesses rely on these type of graphics to bring costumers to the company and make investors to put there money into there company

1 comment:

  1. Joe,you certainly worked hard to find something worth working on. You do need to pay a little more attention to you spelling and grammar... I think you meant 'customers' and not 'costumers' (people who make costumes.) Great insight that the directions for the water filter didn't give you the "big" picture of how it all works together.

    ReplyDelete