Thursday, January 20, 2011

Final Project

So, was my final assignment and possibly my final blog, and for the final assignment, I wanted to something to do with statistics and sports. Being from England, I wanted to focus on football, as Americans call is “Soccer”. However, it turns out that there really isn’t much information to do with football and statistic. The area I was trying to look at was the statistics of the number of fans who watch football around the world. For example, comparing the number of people who watch football in America, compared to the number of people in Brazil. However, even if I got the number, I realize to make the statistics comparable, I would have to find the ratio to make it comparable. Anyway, as I said, the statistics weren’t there.

So then I started thinking of other sports, which I was, and other statistics I could use. One of the ones I thought was the demographics of NFL viewers over time. Turns out, that there are actually some statistics I could use. However, the only two time periods I could use was from 2006 and 2009. I tried looking at the statistics for 2010, but I couldn’t find any.

I found a lot of different demographic options, which I could use. Some like, Food sponsors, ethnics, education level, household income and gender. However, the only one which I could really compare between these 2 year groups, was the gender and household income. This is because the other sets of data didn’t correspond with the data groups from the other year. For example, 2006 had “Other” in the ethnic group, and 2009 had “Hispanic”, so I couldn’t compare them with different data groups. It would be mathematically wrong for me to assume the by other they mean Hispanic.

After finding my data, I decided the best place to start was with the table and 2 graphs, because then I can draw see how much more space I have to draw for the Explanation graphic, Process Graphic and Mind Map.

I decided to do a bar graph of all the data. This was because I can then visually compare everything that the table has to offer. And then I thought, what would other people want to know more about, the gender or the income. With today’s money problems, I thought the income and percentage of viewers. Also there was a lot more data groups to compare other than just Male and Female.

After getting the graphs out of the way, I had already decided to do my process map on the process of buying a ticket and if you can’t by a ticket. My explanation graphic is a timeline of events which had happened between 2006 and 2009. Finally my mind map was mind mapping ways to view the NFL and some things about the NFL which makes it watchable to some people.

Because you can’t see the whole picture, I took pictures of each section aswell



No comments:

Post a Comment